History of Krause Super Valu
provided by Dalles Krause Sr.
Krause Super Valu began in October 1944 in Carson, North Dakota. Kari Olson and Dalles Krause, Jr. great grandfather, Fred Krause, Jr. and grandfather, Edwin Krause, bought Schweigert’s Super Valu and clothing store. This was during World War II. Rationing, price controls, shortage of products were all part of the everyday operation. Sugar, butter, and other products were in short supply and stamps were needed to purchase these items. These stamps were issued periodically by the government to the families. The number of stamps was dependant on the size of the family. Jell-O and candy bars were never placed on the shelves. These items were sold out of the back room to your good customers. Customers during their shopping time would seek out Ed to go to the back room to put Jell-O and candy bars in a brown bag so no one would see the product. Candy bars were sold by the box only. No single bar sales. A box of 24 bars was $1.20 (a nickel bar). More candy bars were sold during the war in Carson than peace time. The hard to get candy was not too hard to get. Candy and Jell-O were never ordered. Stores were on allotment from the warehouse and every order received included both items.
Carson was a small town with a population of 550 – 600 people. The farm population was larger than the town. Farmers would bring in eggs and trade them for groceries. Stores provided late shopping on Saturday nights. The taverns closed at midnight by law, so the store would get one more spurt of business or the groceries that were packed in egg cases and boxes could be loaded in the cars at that time. The lock-up crew, which was family, would get home at 1:00 to 1:30 AM Sunday morning. The store would buy 75-100 cases of eggs on Saturday night. Kerosene, Aladdin Kerosene lamps and No. 2 parts were available at the store. Block salt for cattle, oyster shells, chick starter, and feed was expected to be available by the customers. In the fall of the year, promotions were given on carload fresh fruit, truckload flour and case lot grocery items.
Some farmers would come to the store with a team of horses and wagon. They would lunch in the back room of the store with a ring of bologna, crackers and cheese. They would buy up to 10-20 boxes of peaches, pears, plums to take home to can. The fruit would come in a railroad car and when emptied the car was filled with grain at the elevator. Flour was sold in 50 and 100 lb. bags with many farmers buying 10 to 15 100 lb. bags for the winter.
The store would get three train box carloads of salt a year. This being a ranch area, 1000 or more blocks of white salt, iodized sulfur, mineral blocks of salt as well as table and canning salt were available. The freight bill was higher than the product invoice.
After the war, Harold Krause joined his father and brother in the business. Several years later Ed and Harold bought out their father and continued the business.
Kari and D’s father, Dalles, Sr. was a sixth grader in 1944 and started his grocery career in the Carson store. It was during this time that he grew a love for the grocery business and the challenge of operating a fast paced business. The interaction of people was a draw to him.
April 1961, Marilyn & Dalles Krause, Sr. bought Malke Super Valu in Hazen. They, too, named their store Krause Super Valu. In the early 1900’s there was a Krause Mercantile store in Hazen. Jacob Krause, an uncle to great grandfather Fred Krause, Jr., operated the store until the 1930’s. That store was located where Hazen Drug is today. Jake Krause sold to Richard Isaak who sold to John Malke. In 1958, Malke and his son, Roy, relocated the store in the building now housing Country Hide a Way. This was the location of Krause Super Valu until 1982. Marilyn & Dalles built a new 12500 sq. ft. store a half block south of Main Street, across the street west of Hazen Motors. The Krause’s have always strived to earn your business. With expanded inventory, a bakery-deli, expanded produce, frozen foods, and meat department with an added sausage kitchen, much effort was made to provide the area with the type of grocery shopping that the community deserved. A 2500 sq. ft. addition was added in 1992. This facility served the community well for nearly 28 years.
It is with thankful hearts and pride that a fourth generation of Krause’s, Kari Olson and Dalles Krause Jr. are providing a new grocery shopping experience to Hazen. Kari and D bought into the store in 1995. Opportunities to purchase Garrison Super Valu in 2005 and Washburn Super Valu in 2008 has expanded the Krause Super Valu name to three stores.
Super Valu was founded in 1942. There has been a Krause Super Valu in their organization in all but the first two years of their existence.
The Krause family owes a debt of gratitude to the communities they serve and the many wonderful employees that were and are a part of their business family. We also are very thankful for the many sales people, service people, and fellow business people who have helped us greatly in our business journey. We have learned a long time ago that we will only be as successful as everyone helps us to become.
It is because of you we love our livelihood.
Thank you and God Bless,
The Krause Family